The Friends of Ferguson Heritage Ltd. - Brakes on Vintage Tractors and Trailers
Road vehicles Construction and Use regulations 1986
Regulation 18- Maintenance and Efficiency of Brakes.
Every part of every braking system and the means of operation thereof fitted to vehicle shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and be properly adjusted. Regulation 85- Trailers Drawn by Agricultural Motor Vehicles.
1) No person shall use or cause or permit to be used, on a road, a wheeled agricultural motor vehicle drawing one or more wheeled trailers if the weight of the drawing vehicle is less than a quarter of the weight of the trailer or trailers, unless the brakes fitted to each trailer in compliance with regulation 15 or 16 are operated directly by the service braking system fitted to the motor vehicle.
2) No person shall use, or cause or permit, to be used, on a road any motor vehicle drawing a agricultural trailer of which (a) more than 35% of the weight is borne by the drawing vehicle; or (b) the gross weight exceeds 14230 Kg, unless it is fitted with brakes as mentioned in paragraph 1
Regulation 15- Braking Systems of Certain Vehicles First Used On or After 01.04.83
This regulation does not apply to-
a) an agricultural trailer or agricultural trailed appliance that is not, in either case, drawn at a speed exceeding 20 mph;
d) an agricultural motor vehicle unless it is first used after 1 June 1986 and is driven at more than 20 mph:
e) a vehicle which has a maximum speed not exceeding 25 Km/h (15.5 mph)
Regulation 16- Braking Systems of Vehicles to Which Regulation 15 Does Not Apply
This regulation does not apply to
3(ba) a trailer which has a maximum total design weight that does not exceed 750kg; (bb) a trailer which is:-
(1) an agricultural trailer trailer manufactured before 1st July 1947 (2) being drawn by a motor tractor or an agricultural motor vehicle at a speed not exceeding 10mph and (3) has a laden weight not exceeding 4070 kg and (4)is the only trailer drawn.
Trailers manufactured on or after 1st April 1938 and being either a track laying vehicle, an agricultural trailer or a vehicle manufactured before 1st January 1968 ( except agricultural trailers ) must comply with the following: Schedule 3
3) The vehicle must be equipped with an efficient braking system.
10) The brakes of a trailer shall come into operation automatically on its overrun, in the case of a track laying trailer by a vehicle having steerable wheels the front or a wheeled trailer, the driver of, or some other person on, the drawing vehicle, or on the trailer shall be able to apply the brake on the trailer.
14) The brakes of the vehicle shall apply in the case of a wheeled vehicle to at least 2 wheels the vehicle has no more than 4 wheels and to at least half the wheels if the vehicle more than 4 wheels; and in the case of a track laying vehicle to all the tracks.
17) the parking brake shall be capable of being set so as effectively to prevent two at least of the wheels from revolving when the trailer is not being drawn